Friday, August 24, 2007

Debut Author: Victoria Dahl

I met Victoria at the Dallas conference and upon realizing she was a debut author, I immediately talked her into an interview. Check out the really tough questions I asked her. And if you want to see a larger image of her oh-so-sexy cover, click on the image.


1. Your debut book just released - how's your state of mind?

My state of mind is great! Leading up to my release date, I had been a bit nervous, but I've actually been able to sit back and enjoy it, probably because I'm not working on anything else right now. Thanks for asking. *wink* Actually, it's been truly amazing to get notes from people who like the book. I wrote this book several years ago, so it's been my sole possession for way too long. It's wonderful to share it with everyone!

2. Backcover copy of To Tempt A Scotsman?

After finding herself at the center of a very public scandal that left oneman dead and another on the run, Lady Alexandra Huntington has exiled herself toher brother's estate and is content to manage his affairs. But the arrival ofdarkly handsome Collin Blackburn awakens her curiosity and her desire--and theadvantage of being a fallen woman is that she can be ruined only once...

After a promise sworn to his father, Collin Blackburn is compelled to seekthe aid of the woman who brought about his brother's death in a senseless duel.Yet Lady Alexandra is not the shameless femme fatale he expected. In fact,Collin suspects she is guilty of nothing more than a hunger to experiencepassion, and the brawny Scot is certainly equippd to oblige. But thequick-witted, keenly sensual Alexandra has a few lessons of her own toimpart--on life, love, and the delicious joys of succumbing to temptation. . .

"A sexy, scintillating tale." - Connie Brockway, New York Times bestsellingauthor

3. Okay, I admit it. I haven't read your book yet (hey, books take longer to arrive in NZ). What can you say to convince me of its awesomeness so I can't resist picking it up?

I forgive you, Nalini. I really, really do. But you are missing out on a hot romance that sizzles with tension between two unique characters. My heroine has been described as... well, I won't tell you what one reviewer called her, but let's just say she's a naughty girl who's determined to get what she wants. From the hero. *nudge, nudge* And my hero is not upper-class and not interested in taking on a woman who is, so he's a bit different in that respect. Also, this book won the Golden Heart. AND the Between the Sheets love scence contest (for the infamous Bathtub Scene). *nudge, nudge*

So, have I convinced you yet?

4. Your cover is...intriguing. Any comments?


Oh, my. The cover. Well, I'm sure most of your readers know this, but we authors have no control over our covers. So it's a pretty scary wait for that first glimpse. I mean, it could be.... *shudder*... anything

Could be an old fashioned, hair blowing in the wind clinch cover. Could be hero-only. Could be a giant color-washed photo of a man's ass. Anything. My first taste of this cover was a black and white copy of the mock up. It read, "Background will be red," in my editor's handwriting. And they were naked. Really naked. And gorgeous. And he had short hair!!! Yay! I stood at the mailbox and called my husband. "There are two naked people on the cover, I kid you not." My second response was, "Oh, my God, no way could someone pass by this book without looking."

I'm very, very pleased. *big grin*

5. Have you ever tempted a Scotsman?

I haven't. That I know of, anyway. But my husband is Irish, and I still manage to tempt him pretty often, so I'm doing all right.

6. What's next for Victoria Dahl?

My second historical will be out in 2008, probably August, and PROBABLY titled A Rake's Guide to Passion. I'm just starting the third historical. (They are all related.) And I recently finished up a funny, sexy contemp that I'm hoping to have news about someday soon! Wish me luck!
7. Any other (dark) secrets you'd like to share?

No. None. Why? What did someone tell you? Is it about conference? Because that is totally not true. I don't even drink gin and I've never worn a tube top.

Thanks so much for having me, Nalini! You're a wonderful writer AND a wonderful person!

(I swear I didn't pay her to say that.) More details about Victoria and her books at: http://www.victoriadahl.com/

No comments :